I’m writing this blog post as I’m still trying to digest the last of Thanksgiving dinner, several days after the fact. For those who celebrate, I hope you had a wonderful holiday!
This past week, the nominees for Playcrafting’s annual “Bit Awards” came out, and Vidar is nominated for Best PC/Console Game of the Year!! Which is really just pretty dang awesome. The award show will be on December 15, and if you’re in the NYC area, it’d be great to see you there. Tickets are on sale here.
On the development front, this week we launched the 3rd of 4 “pre-Early Access” content patches designed to get the game to tip-top shape for our Steam debut. Beyond the other big ticket items I’ve discussed the past few weeks, Vidar got a few more particle effects and bug fixes over the long weekend. You should also see more stability throughout.
The final content patch before Early Access will come out in late December, as we try to cram as many possible bug fixes in as we can. There may be additional patches after that for still more fixes, but it’s unlikely any new quests etc. will be added until February (although never say never!)
Better get to it!
- New Quest: Vodka Stinger. Dani’s been reading some strange books.
A Brighter Tomorrow
- Fixed several bugs related to Dorottya’s dialogue
- Fixed several bugs related to using the Imp Oil lantern
Den of Darkness
- Slightly updated the receipt cutscene
- Robert’s reminder text has been fixed
Faith in the Dead
- Added some pep in Borbalo’s step at the Church
- Fixed some reminder dialogue
- Collecting oil will no longer freeze the game
The Second Son
- Improved Sandor’s faith tracking
- Fixed a crash that occurs if this quest times out and Borbalo is dead
To Feed a Village
- Various journal fixes
- New Mechanic: Bucket. You’ll find these scattered throughout the Water Cave.
- Fixed various tile spawning issues in the water cave
- Fixed a crash related to vine spawning in the water cave
- Added 13 new puzzle options to water cave
- Reenabled reset once you enter the Dark Cave; reset is all around better now
- Fixed some graphics glitches related to pull switches and levers
- The purple lever’s color has been adjusted to be more purpley, and in line with the other things that match that switch color
- Added gates in IC1 and IC2 to make the shortcut function more clear
- Pull switches and levers that cannot be used more than once have been modified for that fact to be clearer
- Barrel use has been modified; you now use the lantern to refuel, rather than the interact button
- Added particle FX to moveable mirrors, pillars, and gargoyles
- Added sfx for everyone’s dialogue
- Fixed a crash in Dorry’s dialogue after Kat dies
- Fixed a crash in Gusztav’s dialogue after Robert dies
- Fixed a crash in Robert’s dialogue after he becomes the Doctor
- Added several cutscenes and path variants for Gusztav after Robert dies
- Added several cutscenes and path variants for Gusztav after all 3 patients are dead
- Arpad won’t misidentify you on Day 1
- Robert’s cutscenes where he identifies mushrooms are a little less annoying
- Tomi has a few games he wants to play, if you’re willing
- Sandor’s faith now tracks better; there are several ways to influence whether he has faith
- New Mechanic: Patients. Three extra lives have been added to Vidar.
- New Mechanic: Tomi’s Caregiver. If Tomi is ever orphaned, various citizens may step up to help.
- New Mechanic: Mushroom Effects. Every mushroom can do something helpful or harmful to you; be careful what you eat, if you don’t know what it is.
- Mushrom identification is slightly better
- The sick room in the hospital is no longer visible
- Various fixes to item descriptions
- Unlocked some of the doors in the inn
- Lots of fixes to the campfire – it’s just overall way less buggy. Also note, the game will no longer save after using one.
- Dani sticks around at the castle ruins once she goes there
- Items can’t be used in town now
- Added particle effects for lightpillar use
- Houses in Vidar won’t close if a resident is out mourning for the day
- Fixed the door to the poor house and hospital when it’s closed / locked
- Fixed a passage issue at the poor house